Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Kitty Safety FAIL

Yesterday, I made a big mistake, and was lucky it didn't turn out too badly. I was distracted by my mom's impending surgery, and left the door to the dining room open when letting Pro out in the morning. Pro went into the dining room and started to chase the cats. Octavia is young and agile and got away, but Rudy is old and crippled. Pro got him cornered. I had also been brushing Pro the night before and forgot to put his collar back on, so I had no easy handle to grab. I got my arms around his neck and Rudy got away. Amazingly, Rudy wasn't injured at all- it appears that all Pro wanted to do was bury his nose in Rudy's fur. He got a few scratches for his troubles.

Later in the day, I walked both dogs together, which went well. Then I let both dogs off leash in the yard. Pro appeared still a little wound up from his kitty adventure, so there were a few moments that I thought he was too aroused when running around with Ziggy. He would start making the typical pittie aroused squeal. However, he stopped and came to me right away whenever I called him, so we did that a few times, and called it a day.

I think this was pretty nerve wracking for Ziggy, even though there were no scuffles. I'm sure he can tell how wound up Pro is. I really need to up Pro's exercise and tire him out, and go back to some calm walking around with both dogs.

We went inside, crated Pro in the living room while I did chores, and gave both dogs a rawhide. It took forever for Pro to settle, lots of screeching and pawing, and Ziggy finally had enough. I put him in the other room with his chew so he could relax.

I have to say it was an exhausting day and I was thoroughly sick of Pro by the end of the night. Really I was very disappointed in myself for making mistakes with him today, and discouraged. It just goes to show how quickly a situation can go bad with one wrong move. Can we really handle this?

No comments:

Post a Comment